Complete each of the following sentences with the most likely answer. (25 points)
1. I don't think ______ possible to master a foreign language without much hard work.
A. this B. that
C. its D. it
2. Tuition in some western universities runs ______ twenty thousand dollars a year.
A. so high as B. as high as
C. so high to D. as high to
3. The beauty of the Yellow Mountains is ______ I can describe in words.
A. more than B. not any more than
C. no more than D. more rather than
4. Since Jack ______ take up the job, we might as well ask Richard to do it.
A. shouldn't B. mustn't
C. wouldn't D. needn't
5. The streets are all wet. It ______ during the night.
A. must rain B. must have rained
C. must be raining D. must have been raining
6. The tennis finals will be put off if it ______ tomorrow afternoon.
A. rains B. will rain
C. were to rain D. was to rain
7. My house is full of dust because the old house just opposite ______.
A. will be pulled down B. has to be pulled down
C. has pulled down D. is being pulled down
8. The audience stared open-mouthed as the acrobat walked on the steel wire ______ high above the ground.
A. being fixed B. has fixed
C. fixed D. having fixed
9. The workers on the construction site downed tools, demanding that they ______ medical care and social security insurance.
A. provide for B. provided with
C. should provide with